Dear Atlanta Falcons Fans:
As a Buccaneers fans living in the Atlanta area, I would like to congratulate Falcons fans for their team reaching the Super Bowl. Now this is not the first time the Dirty Birds made it to the big game, but it is, by far, the best Falcons team to get to this point. Having said that, there are some thoughts which a fan of a one-time Super Bowl champion and division rival would like to share.
- Be classy in victory or defeat. Regardless of the outcome, show good sportmanship. Don’t assault Patriots fans or be belligerent towards non-Falcon fans because they don’t care. Show America Atlanta is a classy town no matter the outcome.
- Don’t be like “chowds.” New England fans are called “Chowderheads” but “chowds” are the arrogant, obnoxious, insufferable jerks who make Cowboy Nation and Raiderfan look like teddy bears. Some Boston fans wear this monicker as a badge of honor…it isn’t. Whatever you do, make sure you treat other fans with respect if you win. Don’t become the entitled spoiled brats who think the Patriots and Red Sox are the unbeatable monsters and deserve to win the titles every year.
- Remember it’s just a game. This is not a life and death struggle. No matter what happens, a Super Bowl win would do wonders for civic pride but it will do little to help poverty and homelessness. Be kind to your fellow man even in victory because, after all, it is just a game.
- Enjoy the moment. Making the Super Bowl is a privilege earned by only two teams every year, and most teams don’t return to win it. Enjoy this moment because, win or lose, it may not come again.
- Be responsible. For the love of God, make sure you get a cab or a bus if you overindulge, and don’t go home angry if they lose. Be sure to show you are an adult so others aren’t hurt.
Finally, have fun and cheer on your team regardless. When they get back to Atlanta, no matter the outcome, be proud because they did something only one other team has accomplished this year: compete for the Vince Lombardi Trophy.
With that said, congrats to the Atlanta Falcons for making it this far. You deserve it.
A Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan since 1990z